Monday, March 26, 2012

Here


Vivian: "Baby, I'm going to treat you so nice you're never going to want to let me go."
Edward: "3000, for six days, and Vivian I will let you go."
Vivian: "But I'm here now."
-          Pretty Woman

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen Pretty Woman, but as I lay in bed this morning, inert and happy in the morning sun, Julia Roberts’ young, dreamy face came to mind. She has just been told that her days of indulgence are numbered -- that there will be an end and return to her less than ideal life-- but that doesn’t deter her from enjoying and delighting the moment. So, not quite ready to get out of bed and end my sleepy bliss, I chose to pull myself back from everything that awaited me and snuggle down into my cocoon for just a little longer. 

There is something quite yet so profoundly sensual about living in the here and now. It makes sense when you are enjoying what we are doing. Yet, even if what we sense isn’t the most positive of experiences, it reminds us that we are alive. I, like most, try to distract myself when I’m going through a less than pleasant experience. But on the occasion I’ve sunken in and allowed myself to be, to feel, to live every inch of what it had to offer, I have found the sensation an affirmation of my existence. It reminds me that life is about not just the good. It has helped the lessons I learn to stick. It has helped me change where I need to. Or maybe just realize that even in the pain there is unexpected pleasure.

No comments: