Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fest in the City



Today was the Adams Morgan Day Festival. I’m not sure if I enjoyed the festival or my walks to and from the metro more. There was a taste of fall in the air. The sky was a bright blue after yesterday’s storm.  It was still quite warm, but the slight crispness in the breeze brought with it a promise of weather to come. It’s days like this that I love to be in DC. Summers can be cloyingly hot in the city, so days like this invigorate us.  There were people out everywhere – walking, biking, sitting on stoops and watching the world go by.

The festival itself was entertaining. A mix of music, ethnic food and art. And people. Lots of people of all ages, ethnicities and walks of life. My friend had made the mistake of trying to drive and was late trying to find parking. So I mingled. I bumped into a guy I had a few dates with a few years ago. A raffle ticket vendor kissed my hand, undeterred by my gentle refusal to buy a ticket. I watched Afro-Brazilian dancers perform on a school basketball court. But my favorite was a man singing karaoke, making up the lyrics as he went. I think Elton John would have a few choice words to say about this guy’s rendition of Tiny Dancer

I didn’t end up buying or eating anything. But I walked a lot, caught up with friends, and relished the day. I came home more than satisfied.

No comments: