Monday, October 1, 2012

Savory Oatmeal



I love oatmeal. I have it every morning and sometimes throughout the day. Most people think of oatmeal as a sweet, but I like mine savory and spicy. I’ve been asked so many times to explain this, so I thought I’d post a loose recipe of sorts. This is very simple, healthy and a great way to start off your day. I’m leaving out measurements because that’s not how I cook and everyone is different in their tastes.
Ingredients
·         Old-fashioned oats
·         Cumin seeds
·         Mustard seeds
·         Ground coriander
·         Ground cumin
·         Ground turmeric
·         Chili powder
·         Freshly grated ginger (or ground ginger)


1.       Warm a pot over medium heat. Put cumin and mustards seeds in pot and cover. The mustard seeds will pop when hot.
2.       When the popping has stopped, uncover the pan and add oats and ground spices.
3.       Dry roast the oats until they are slightly brown and give off a toasty smell.
4.       Add water to cover and toss in the freshly ground ginger, if using.
5.       Cook until the oats reach the desired consistency.
NOTE: Old-fashioned oats take longer to cook than quick oats. I often cover with ample water and allow them to simmer for up to 30 minutes for a creamier dish.

No comments: